John 14:15 “If you love me, obey my commandments.16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you.17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.
Do you know the Holy Spirit? That is a weird question, but definitely one we as believers should be asking ourselves. For years early in my ministry I would read my Bible, and a scripture, even the one above, would come up and I would go ask an older believer what it meant and almost 100% of the time they would say something like "Oh that is for those holy roller churches. We don't get into that "stuff!" Of course, as I grew in the Lord and in His word I could no longer deny the presence and the power of the Holy Spirit. In fact, I came to know the Holy Spirit more in my life and see Him leading me in my walk. And I wasn't even one of those "holy rollers." I just quit leaving out the parts of the Bible I didn't understand and let the Bible speak to me without hindrance.
Here is what I have learned about the Holy Spirit.
1. He is given to us by God and He never leaves us. John 14: 6 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you.
2. He gives us power to live our lives and share the gospel. Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
3. He is accessible because He is in those who know Jesus. John 14:17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.
4. He has the same characterics of Jesus and He is wanting to guide us in our walk John 16:13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.
5, He shows us how to live our life. Galatians 5:16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.
6. He shows us the will of God. Psalm 143:10 Teach me to do your will, for you are my God.
May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.
7. Our lives show evidence of Him. Galatians 5:22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
8. He has sealed us in our relationship with God. Ephesians 4: And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
And all of this is just the tip of the spiritual iceberg, which is the Holy Spirit. Perhaps we leave the Holy Spirit out of our lives and our thinking because we don't understand that "He Was There All the Time!" We cannot live without the power of the Holy Spirit and you will definitely "come alive" in your faith when you study what God's Word says about Him. So don't let the extremes keep you from learning and living about the most necessary person for your life; the Holy Spirit. God has given Him to us to empower us and guide us through our daily walk. So don't leave Him out!!
The Pilgrimage Continues......