Acts 8:26-40 This details the very familiar story of Phillip and the Ethiopian eunuch. This story is a perfect example of God setting up a divine appointment to get the gospel shared and accepted. How did God set this appointment up?
1. An angel of the Lord told Phillip to go south to the road-the desert road- that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza. So Phillip went down that road. vs. 26-27
2. An Ethiopian eunuch was sitting in his chariot reading the book of Isaiah the prophet. He was on his way home from Jerusalem where he had gone to worship.vs. 28
3. The Spirit told Phillip to go to the chariot and stay near it.vs. 29
4. Phillip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the Prophet and asked him if he understood what he was reading. Vs. 30
5. The eunuch said “How can I?” unless someone explains it to me and he invited Phillip to get in the chariot and sit with him. vs. 31
6. The eunuch read the scripture in Isaiah 53:7,8 where it says, “He was led like a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb before the shearer is silent, se he did not open his mouth. In his humiliation he was deprived of justice. Who can speak of his descendants? For his life was taken from the earth.”
7. The eunuch asked Phillip, Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” vs. 34
8. Then Phillip began with that very scripture and told him the good news about Jesus. vs. 35
9. The eunuch believed and as they went by some water asked Phillip “Why shouldn’t I be baptized?” vs. 37
10. Then Phillip and the eunuch went down to the water and Phillip baptized him. vs. 38
Now that is a ten step program that will work for anyone when God is the one directing the whole thing. The appointment had been put together by God, but he used Phillip to share the good news about Jesus. If you ever feel like you are lacking purpose, please remember this story and know that God wants to use all believers to present His message to a lost and searching world. Proverbs 8:17 says, “I love those who love me and those who seek me diligently find me.” The eunuch couldn’t get clear of the living Word of God he was reading and it all made sense when God used Phillip to explain the gospel to him in light of the scripture he was reading. The scripture that drew the eunuch to wonder what it meant was the very scripture that Phillip explained about who the lamb was and what Jesus did. This is an incredible story of how our mission is to be accomplished. God setting up the appointments and the Holy Spirit telling us where to go. Phillip was in that eunuch’s life and path for one thing and one thing only….salvation. In verse 39-40 scripture says, “When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Phillip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.” Phillip didn’t go “Wow, I led someone to the Lord. That should be good enough for me for life!” No, no. It was just one of many times he would preach the good news of Jesus on his travels. Please note that he was “led by the Spirit.” Very important part of this whole thing.
What does God have on the books for you. Does his appointment book have your name by a person you meet at Wal-Mart or at a shoe store, or in a church service? Oh you can be sure he has some appointments just waiting for you to fill. And they probably have a certain location, a certain time, and a certain person. What is missing in this whole thing? You saying yes and going where the Spirit wants you to go. They may not be sitting in a chariot reading God’s Word, but they might be. Whatever the circumstances, God will show you what to do and how to do it.
Now, will you be faithful to make your appointment or will you cancel out on God. Will you let other, less important appointments, take you away from the one that really counts for eternity, or will you be sensitive to the Holy Spirit showing you your next appointment? Time to focus on God’s appointments and His travels as you go on this journey. Heaven is watching.
The Pilgrimage continues…