Hebrews 10:23 says “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.” To hold fast means to stay connected to whatever you are attached to and keep the bond firm. In life terms we know it means for us continue to cling to those things in life we value and believe in. When it comes to the belief system, we as born-again believers hold on to our faith in the Word of God. That Word has some fantastic guarantees attached to it. Let me give you 10 of them.
1. We base our life on it. Matthew 4:4 – Jesus answering the devil when being tempted int he wilderness. It is written, “Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.”
2. It gives us boldness in our faith. Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the Word of God with boldness.”
3. It is wide reaching. – Acts. 8:14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John,
4. It compels learned men to seek it. Acts 13:7 who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence. This man summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.
5. It is our offensive weapon to fight satan. Ephesians 6:7 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
6. It can never be chained down or held back. 2 Timothy 2:9 or which I suffer hardship even to imprisonment as a criminal; but the word of God is not imprisoned.
7. It gives us our growth in the faith. 1 Timothy 4:5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.
8. It must be handled carefully. 2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
9. It must be honored. Titus 2:5 to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.
10. It is active and alive. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
What is your confession of faith? Do you know it? If not, you need to get one and hold fast to it. Just make sure it is founded on the Word of God or it will crumble and fade away.
The Pilgrimage continues…